Admission to the Bachelor of Music is intended for especially qualified students who wish to emphasize professional training in performance or composition within a four-year program. A minimum of 180 credits is required, of which at least 60 must be taken in departments other than the School of Music, including the Language Skills, Reasoning and Writing in Context, and 20 credits in each of two Areas of Knowledge requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (see below). Music majors are required to earn a minimum grade of 2.0 in each music course (core and elective) that is to count toward Music degree requirements. A GPA of 2.5 in Music is required for graduation.
- MUSIC 113: Beginning Ear Training (Autumn) (1 credit)
- MUSIC 119: Theory (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 120: Survey of Music History (Aut/Win/Spr) (5 credits) or proficiency exam
- Music Theory & History Core
- MUSIC 201, 202: First-Year Theory I, II (Winter, Spring) (3,3) (6 credits)
- MUSIC 203, 301, 302: First-Year Theory III & Second-Year Theory I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUHST 210, 211, 212: Music History I, II, III (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 303: Second-Year Theory III (Autumn) (3 credits)
- At least 3 credits from among: MUSIC 250, MUSIC 251, MUSIC 252, or any 400-level Ethnomusicology course
- TOTAL CORE CREDITS: 30
- Additional Music Requirements
- Approved upper-level Music Theory or History electives (see list of course options) (12 credits)
- MUSICP 337: Percussion Private Lessons (6 credits)
- MUSICP 340: Timpani Private Lessons (9 credits)
- MUSICP 341: Mallet Private Lessons (3 credits)
- MUSICP 437, 440, 441: Percussion Private Lessons (18 credits)
- MUSAP 443: Percussion Lab (12 credits)
- MUSIC 379: Junior Recital (1 credit)
- MUSIC 479: Senior Recital (1 credit)
- Ensemble Requirements
- Participation in at least one School of Music ensemble is required during every quarter of applied music instruction.
- Percussion Performance: MUSEN 300 (Symphony); MUSEN 301 (Wind Ensemble); or MUSEN 302 (Symphonic Band) (12 credits)
- Percussion Ensemble: MUSEN 304 (Percussion Ensemble) (12 credits)
- Music Ensemble: MUSEN 384 (Modern Music Ensemble); 410 (Steel Drum Ensemble); 411 (Gamelan Ensemble) (3 credits)
- Piano Proficiency
- Students must satisfy a piano proficiency requirement equivalent to passing MUSAP 235.
TOTAL MAJOR CREDITS: 119
- Language Skills = 5 cr. English Composition; 5 cr. Foreign Language (third quarter)
- Reasoning and Writing in Context = 5 cr. Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning; 10 cr. Writing course
- Areas of Knowledge - 75 credits total (of which 15 cr. of major dept. prefix can count but not toward 90 non-Music)
- VLPA - Visual Literary and Performing Arts = 20 cr.; I&S - Individuals and Societies = 20 cr.; NW - Natural World = 20 cr.
TOTAL NON-MUSIC CREDITS: 60
See the Degree Program Sheet below for a checklist of course requirements.