Auditions are open to music majors. Non-majors who are taking lessons with a faculty member will need a recommendation from the faculty member.
Modern Music Ensemble meets on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:30 am–1:20 pm. Enrollment will be limited, and students will be placed in smaller groups of 3-6 students with rehearsals held in large spaces, or virtually.
About the Modern Music Ensemble
Performing repertoire spanning from the 20th century to works by living composers, the Modern Music Ensemble is the premiere contemporary music chamber ensemble of the University of Washington. In addition to focusing on small ensemble and chamber orchestra works, the students have the opportunity to perform with the Harry Partch Ensemble, and to collaborate with DXARTS in the performance of electro-acoustic works.
Recent performances have included the West Coast premiere of Steve Reich’s “Radio Rewrite” and a concert of works by American composers John Zorn, Christian Wolff, and Morton Feldman. The ensemble works regularly with visiting artists and composers. Recent guests have included Stephen Drury, Garth Knox, and Ursula Oppens. The upcoming Winter concert will include the US premiere of Betsy Jolas’ “Wanderliend” for solo cello and ensemble, and Pierre Boulez’s “Derive 2” conducted by Ludovic Morlot. (Learn More)
School of Music Graduate Study Admission: Learn More
Video Audition Submission Timeline:
Video submission instructions for Modern Music Ensemble
- All students must prepare Christian Wolff's Microexercises #5 and #7 (PDF), in addition to 2 works (can be individual movements or excerpts from larger work) from contrasting styles/periods.
- State your name, instrument, year in school, major, and degree program at the start of the video, and state the title and composer before each piece.
- Video should be a single, unedited take.
- Please upload your video as an "unlisted" video on YouTube.
- Fill out this form and submit your audition:
UW Modern Ensemble Online Audition Form 2020/2021