You are here

Safety & Security


Everyone - student, staff and faculty - is ultimately responsible for his/her own safety.

For EMERGENCIES, Call 9-1-1 
For non-emergencies, call 206.685.UWPD (8973)

  • UW Safety Portal - The UW has a website focused on campus safety and emergency preparedness, with links to dozens of resources. Visit the site to familiarize yourself with information on fire and evacuation, hazardous materials, lab safety, training, and more before an emergency or need arises. You also will find a link to sign up for the UW Alert text and email message service, to be notified of emergencies or crisis situations that may disrupt the normal operation of the UW.
  • Safe Campus - The SafeCampus website provides information on counseling and safety resources, University policies, and violence reporting requirements that help the UW maintain a safe personal, work, and learning environment.
  • There are first aid kits in various places throughout the School of Music.
  • UW's accident report form - If you have an accident or are injured, please remember to report it.
  • Night ride - If you live to the west, north or east, within a mile of campus and you stay on campus after dark, take NightRide home. The NightRide shuttle takes you from campus right to your front door, U-PASS holders ride for free.
  • Husky NightWalk - A uniformed guard assistance program that uses full-time security guards to assist students, staff, and faculty members to various locations on campus and within a one-mile radius off campus. (206)685-WALK.
  • The School of Music is committed to the safety of its faculty, staff, students and visitors. Any safety problem can be reported to building administrator Jenifer Moreland, Music Room 109, by email at, or by phone at (206) 543‑2137.


Security should be a concern to all faculty, students and staff at the School. Access to the building after hours is available by having your Husky card swiped. All doors and windows must be closed when you leave a room, even if you know someone is coming in right after you.

If you see someone who doesn't belong - call 911 immediately and report it to the main office ASAP. 

Student health insurance

Starting in fall 2014, the UW no longer offers the Student Health Insurance Plan. Medicaid and Healthcare Exchanges has information on buying insurance. 

Student counseling center

The Counseling Center exists to support UW students in all aspects of their development. They provide personal counseling, career counseling, study skills assistance, and other services to currently-enrolled UW students. The Counseling Center also provides consultation to faculty, staff, and parents who have concerns about a student.