Important Note: All MUSAP courses in Spring Quarter 2021 are remote.
The University of Washington offers piano instruction for non-piano majors in both class and one-on-one (private lessons) settings as well as required music major piano proficiency courses.
- Class Piano Instruction (MUSAP 133/134/135/233/234/235)
- Private Piano Instruction (MUSAP 239 / MUSICP 301)
*Requirements for Spring Quarter 2021 Piano Classes (MUSAP 133, 134, 135, 233, 234, 235, 239, 301)*
Music majors and Music graduate students will be given priority for classes. Students enrolled in these MUSAP courses, including secondary piano, will be able to use the practice room reservation system (details to be announced). Incoming new UW undergraduate music majors should wait to take piano class until next year.
Spring Quarter 2021 Auditions
Placement auditions for Spring Quarter 2021 are March 15 between 1 and 2 p.m. on Zoom. Students may sign up for an audition time slot here. In addition, students must email to the TAS the following forms:
Placement Audition Information Sheet (PDF found below)
Schedule Form (PDF found below)
Email TA Johnson Gouvea at email@example.com
Students with minimal experience, but who have a background in piano or music theory, should email a Placement Audition Information Sheet to Johnson Gouvea at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will respond to you regarding whether or not your desired course is suitable.
Proficiency exams for Spring 2021 are June 4 from 10 to 11 a.m. on Zoom. Students may sign up for a time slot here.
Class Piano Instruction (MUSAP 133/134/135/233/234/235)
A six-course sequence of piano classes designed for students seeking to strengthen their keyboard skills.
- Placement Audition Information Sheet: All prospective class piano students must fill out the Placement Audition Information Sheet (PDF)
- Schedule Form: All students must email their schedule form to Johnson Gouvea at email@example.com. Schedule forms from continuing students must be emailed by noon on March 29. Students who do not submit the required schedule form on time will not be permitted to register and will have to wait until the following quarter to enroll in a piano course.
- Registration: Class times and add codes will be emailed to students.
- Music Students: Most music degrees at the UW have a piano requirement – either MUSAP 135 or MUSAP 235. Your advisor can tell you about piano requirements for your specific degree. You may fulfill this requirement by either enrolling in (and passing) the appropriate piano course(s) up until the level that your degree program requires (either MUSAP 135 or MUSAP 235), or you may opt to take the Piano Proficiency Test. For more information on the Piano Proficiency Test please visit the Piano Proficiency Test FAQ page.
- Class piano courses start the week of April 5, 2021.
Private Piano Instruction (MUSAP 239 / MUSICP 301)
***All students wishing to enroll in MUSAP 239 or MUSICP 301 must audition.***
MUSAP 239: All incoming students, upon successful completion of an audition, are placed into MUSAP 239.
MUSICP 301: Students may register for a maximum of four quarters of MUSAP 239. Those wishing to continue their piano studies must audition up to MUSICP 301.
Students auditioning to be considered for placement into MUSICP 301 must prepare three solo piano works (memorization required).
Spring Quarter 2021 Auditions
Auditions for Spring Quarter piano classes will take place via Zoom.
- If you would like to take a MUSAP piano course, sign up for a Zoom audition here.
- All prospective class piano students must fill out the Placement Audition Information Sheet (PDF)
- All returning and incoming class piano students must fill out and submit a schedule form (PDF) as soon as possible and no later than 12 pm on March 29, 2021. Students who do not submit the required schedule form on time will not be permitted to register and will have to wait until the following quarter to enroll in a piano course.
- Students with minimal experience but who have a background in piano or music theory should still send both TAs their Placement Audition Information Sheets, and TAs will determine if the desired course is suitable. If able, students should submit a short video clip of what they are able to play.
- Registration: Instructors will email add codes to MUSAP 239 and MUSICP 301 students on the first day of the quarter.
If you have any questions please email: Johnson Gouvea firstname.lastname@example.org.