You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Music Room Rentals & Access

I am with a UW organization outside of the School of Music or am a non-UW organization/individual who would like to rent Brechemin Auditiorium for my event.  Is this possible?

No, the School of Music does not rent Brechemin Auditorium for use outside the UW Music program.

I am a School of Music student and I need to schedule a recital. What do I do?

Students needing to reserve performance and rehearsal spaces for their recitals should use the Recital Scheduling system.
How to Schedule a Degree Recital  |  Degree Recital FAQ  |  Percussion Degree Recital FAQ  |  Degree Recital Forms

I am a member of the UW Music faculty or student body and I would like to book a room in the Music Building. How do I do this?

School of Music faculty and students may view availability and request use of select classroom and performance spaces via the school's EMS calendar system. Students may request space for degree recitals, rehearsal, classroom, and meeting spaces as appropriate. Faculty may request spaces for classroom, rehearsal and performance activities, and to reserve or browse space for hosting visiting scholars and artists. To use this system, follow the step-by-step instructions provided after logging into the system with a UW Net ID. View the EMS Quick Guide here.   

Access EMS Here 

How do I obtain a practice room key?

Students who are eligible to obtain a practice room key:

  • Undergraduate music majors
  • Graduate music students who are not ABD (ABD students can request a key by speaking to Jenifer Moreland)
  • Non-music students enrolled in any MUSEN course numbered 200 or above
  • Temporary keys are available for check out for students preparing for an audition occurring within 2 weeks. See full policy below.

Keys cost $20
Replacement keys cost $40
Fees are non-refundable and must be paid by Husky Card.
Practice rooms are re-keyed each year after summer quarter ends. A new key will need to be purchased to obtain access for the next academic year.

Temporary Loaner Keys
Loaner keys are available for students preparing for an audition occurring within 2 weeks.  Check-out is only available between the hours of 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. UW ID is required and will be held while keys are in use.

Contact Information
Maya Ben-Yosef Scheduling Coordinator

Are practice pianos available for UW student use?

The practice pianos located in the Music Building are reserved for School of Music students only (see practice room reservation policies & procedures outlined above).

Campus Pianos
Many residence halls on campus have music practice rooms, however access to those rooms is limited to students living in the residence hall system.

Hire a Musician 

I would like to hire a musician to perform/speak at an upcoming event or for private lessons. Do you have a list of recommended musicians for hire?

Select UW Music students, faculty, and alumni are available for hire for a range of events as well as for private studio instruction. The artists listed here have been endorsed by the appropriate faculty member within their degree program and are either current UW students, faculty members, or have received their degree from the UW within the past few years.

The School of Music does not directly issue contracts or negotiate terms between clients and musicians. Clients must negotiate all fees and details directly with the musicians. Please contact the artists directly for rates and availability. View the current "Hire a Musician" referral list.

School of Music Publicity

I am involved with a Seattle arts organization that is hosting an event that I think would be of interest to your students and faculty. Can the School of Music help publicize my event?

The School of Music manages publicity for more than 100 public events each academic year and is therefore unable to accommodate requests for help from outside organizations. We won’t be able to post your event on our Facebook page or send announcements to our students on your behalf.  What we CAN do is welcome you to post a flyer about your event to our community bulletin board, located just inside the front doors of the Music Building. You may also leave a small stack of postcards or handbills about your event on our front lobby table. 

Piano Sales, Instrument Sales, Rentals

Does the School of Music still hold its annual piano sale?

The piano sale held at the School of Music for a number of years is no longer in effect. The sale was through a partnership agreement with a local piano company that ended in 2011. In 2018, the School of Music entered into a new partnership agreement with a local piano company, Classic Pianos, for an annual piano sale of used pianos, to be held each summer at the Classic Pianos facility in Bellevue. Classic Pianos hosts and manages this sale, so all inquiries should be directed to Classic Pianos of Bellevue, WA.

Does the School of Music sell or rent used instruments, including band and orchestra instruments and pianos?

The School of Music does not rent or sell instruments. UW regulations require all used equipment to be retired via UW Surplus, so all instruments we no longer require are sent to Surplus. The UW Surplus store, located at 4515 25th Ave NE Seattle, WA 98105-4280, is open to the public every Tuesday, 12 to 6 p.m. and also maintains a website with listings of current inventory. To view musical instruments in stock, visit:

 I have an instrument I would like to sell or a service I would like to offer to the UW Music community. Is there a place I can post an ad or notice?

The School of Music has a community bulletin board, located just inside the front doors of the Music Building, where printed notices can be posted. The School of Music is not able to print and post notices received via mail or email.