Q: Who needs to take the placement audition?
A: All students (music and non-music) wishing to enroll in class (MUSAP 133/134/135/233/234/235) or private (MUSAP 239) piano instruction who have not taken a class or private piano course offered at the UW are required to take the placement audition. Students who have not taken a piano course at the UW in over a year are required to re-take the placement audition.
Q: What is the purpose of the placement audition?
A: The placement audition allows us to evaluate your current level of piano proficiency. Your performance at that audition will determine which course you are eligible to enroll in. Effective Spring quarter 2011, students who wish to enroll in private lessons (MUSAP 239) must prepare two solo works. Please see below for more information regarding repertoire requirements for the MUSAP 239 audition.
Q: I would like to enroll in a piano course but have no music background. Can I still audition?
A: A certain amount of basic knowledge is assumed. Therefore, if you have no musical background, please take MUSAP 116 and MUSAP 117 before auditioning.
Q: When is the placement audition?
- For fall quarter enrollment: The placement audition is administered one week before the first day of fall quarter.
- For winter quarter enrollment: The placement audition is administered during the last week of fall quarter.
- For spring quarter enrollment: The placement audition is administered during the last week of winter quarter.
- For summer quarter enrollment: The placement audition is administered during the last week of spring quarter.
Placement audition dates are posted on the Secondary Piano page.
Q: How do I sign up for the placement audition?
A: A sign-up will be posted on the door of Music Building Room 6 about one week before the audition.
Q: How long is the placement audition?
A: 5 minutes
Q: What must I bring to the placement audition?
A: Fill out and bring to your audition a “Placement Audition Information Sheet (PDF)”
Q: What will I be evaluated on?
A: If you are auditioning for placement in class piano, you will be evaluated on scales, arpeggios, chord progressions (I-IV-I-V7-I), and sight reading.
If you are auditioning for placement in private lessons, you must prepare two works (memorization not required; minimum difficulty level: Clementi Sonatinas, JS Bach 2-Part Inventions). You will also be evaluated on your sight-reading ability.
Q: When and how will I be notified of the results of my placement audition?
A: The results will be posted by 7:00 PM later that day on the bulletin board across from the music advising office (room 116). You will need to check the bulletin board for this information. You will not be notified via email.
Q: I took the placement audition. What’s next?
A: Print, fill out, and submit a SCHEDULE FORM (PDF) to room 6 by 12:00 PM on the first day of the quarter.
- LATE FORMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
- P R I N T L E G I B L Y!
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRACE OR REPRODUCE A SCHEDULE FORM BY HAND.
- REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
CLASS PIANO (MUSAP 133/134/135/233/234/235): Class times are determined on
the first day of the quarter after all of the schedule forms have been received. Class lists and
add codes will be posted on the bulletin board across from the music advising office (Room
116) by 7:00 PM on the first day of the quarter. You are responsible to check the bulletin
board for this information.
PRIVATE PIANO INSTRUCTION (MUSAP 239): Your instructor will email you a
registration add code on the first day of the quarter.
* For more information please visit the page: Secondary Piano