Application to the School of Music is a two-step process: one, you must apply to the University of Washington, and two, you must audition for the School of Music.
Applying to the UW
For the most up to date information regarding how to apply to the University of Washington, please visit the UW Admissions website.
The application deadline for Freshmen is NOVEMBER 15th. The UW does not accept late materials!
Auditioning for the School of Music
For all degrees except Ethnomusicology and Composition (audition needed to enroll in required private lessons), students must pass an entrance audition on their primary instrument. Once you have submitted your application to the UW, you can then request an audition. Please do the following to submit your request:
- Make sure you have submitted your online application to the UW.
- Prepare the audition repertoire for your instrument.
- Read the Audition Information page
- Sign up for a live audition date or submit a digital audition. While in-person auditions are highly encouraged, if you are unable to attend a live audition with School of Music faculty, you have the option to audition via video. Please note that live auditions sign-ups close two weeks prior to the audition date. Video auditions are accepted for winter auditions only and are due Jan. 31st.
Applying for Financial Aid
To make sure you are eligible for the most financial aid possible, you should:
- Audition for the School of Music in January or February.
- Fill out the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid by January 15th.
Please contact us with questions about admissions at SoMadmit@uw.edu or attend a free Information Session to learn more. At this time, advisors are unable to meet with applicants to the UW. If you have questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.