Application to the School of Music is a two-step process: one, you must apply to the University of Washington, and two, you must audition for the School of Music.
Applying to the UW
Your application to the UW consists of the following parts:
1. Your application – completed, signed, and dated
2. Application Fee in US currency
3. The Writing Section
4. Academic Credentials
5. English Proficiency Test Scores
a. English language proficiency exam scores are required of all international applicants. Acceptable formats include the TOEFL and IELS.
b. Non-US citizens whose primary and secondary education took place in Australia, Canada, Great Britian, Ireland, New Zealand, or the UW are exempt from this requirement.
The UW does not require or encourage you to send additional materials.
On the UW Admissions website, you can find more details on when and how to submit the above materials You can also find information on applying for the Honors Program.
Deadline for International Freshmen: DECEMBER 1st
Deadline for International Transfer Students: FEBRUARY 15th
Deadline for International Post-Baccalaureate Students: FEBRUARY 15th
Please note: The UW does NOT accept late materials!
Auditioning for the School of Music
All degrees except Ethnomusicology, American Music Studies, and Composition, require that students pass an entrance audition on their primary instrument. Once you have submitted your application to the UW, you can then request an audition. Please do the following to submit your request:
- Make sure you have submitted your online application to the UW.
- Prepare the audition repertoire for your instrument.
- Read the Audition Information page
- Sign up for a live audition date or submit a digital audition. While in-person auditions are highly encouraged, if you are unable to attend a live audition with School of Music faculty, you have the option to audition via video. Please note that live auditions sign-ups close two weeks prior to the audition date. Video auditions are accepted for winter auditions only and are due Jan. 31st.
Students interested in pursuing a degree in Ethnomusicology, American Music Studies, or Composition need to pass prerequisite courses and then apply to their intended areas of study. Contact SoMadmit@uw.edu to learn more.