Application to the School of Music is a two-step process: one, you must apply to the University of Washington, and two, you must audition for the School of Music.
General Info on Applying as a Post-Bac
A post-bac is someone who already has a bachelor’s degree and is interested in earning a second one. While most of our post-bac applicants already have a degree in music, we are also open to accepting post-bacs from other majors. Every division EXCEPT Composition accepts post-bac students.
Entrance as a post-bac depends almost entirely on departmental admission, and for that reason we are only able to accept applicants who have chosen a specific major.
Applying to the UW
Your application to the UW consists of the following parts:
1. Your application – completed, signed, and dated
2. Application Fee
3. Statement of Purpose
4. Official College Transcripts
On the UW Admissions website, you can find more details on when and how to submit the above materials.
The application deadline for Post-Bacs is FEBRUARY 15th of each year, however, the School of Music encourages to you apply as possible so that you don’t miss any audition dates.
Auditioning for the School of Music
All degrees except Ethnomusicology, American Music Studies, and Composition, require that students pass an entrance audition on their primary instrument. Once you have submitted your application to the UW, you can then request an audition. Please do the following to submit your request:
- Make sure you have submitted your online application to the UW.
- Prepare the audition repertoire for your instrument.
- Read the Audition Information page
- Sign up for a live audition date or submit a digital audition. While in-person auditions are highly encouraged, if you are unable to attend a live audition with School of Music faculty, you have the option to audition via video. Please note that live auditions sign-ups close two weeks prior to the audition date. Video auditions are accepted for winter auditions only and are due Jan. 31st.
Students interested in pursuing a degree in Ethnomusicology, American Music Studies, or Composition need to pass prerequisite courses and then apply to their intended areas of study. Contact SoMadmit@uw.edu to learn more.
Applying for Financial Aid
To make sure you are eligible for the most financial aid possible, you should:
- Audition for the School of Music in January or February.
- Fill out the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid by February 15th.