Monday, September 24, 2018 - 12:00am
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 12:00am
Winds, Brass & Percussion auditions for the following ensembles: Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, UW Symphony Orchestra & Campus Philharmonia Orchestra
The University of Washington instrumental ensemble program includes four large concert ensembles and over 300 student musicians from across campus—from freshmen to grad students, from anthropology to zoology majors.
The Wind Ensemble (MUSEN 301/501), Symphonic Band (MUSEN 302/502) are the auditioned concert band ensembles at the University of Washington, performing a repertoire of classic, contemporary and newly commissioned music. These groups offer a high level of musical challenge and opportunities for large group, chamber and one-on-a-part performance experiences. Membership in all groups is open to students from all schools and departments of the UW—over half of the musicians in these ensembles are from majors other than music! And remember, performance in a UW ensemble counts toward VLPA credit requirements.
Brass, woodwind and percussion auditions for Fall 2018 will be held on:
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2018
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2018
Auditions will be held in Meany Hall, room 268 (where is Meany Hall?)
- Arrive at Meany Hall (map), Room 268 (top floor)
- Arrive at your audition at least 15 minute early (no warm up rooms available but you could warm up in the lobby on the basement floor)
- Determine with audition coordinator your exact audition time and confirm your contact information is correct
- DO NOT SPEAK once you enter the room. There will be a screen preventing auditioners from seeing who you are. This helps make the auditions fair
- The auditions will tell you which excerpt to start with, when to stop, which excerpt to play next, when to play a sight reading piece, and when to leave the room
- The audition will take approximatley 10 minutes to complete
- You will find out about the results that evening via the contact information on the form you filled
For more information regarding UW Bands contact Chris Mathakul at email@example.com
For more information regarding UW Orchestras contact Mario Torres, teaching assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org
CAN I PLAY WITHOUT AN AUDITION?
Yes! The UW Concert and Campus Bands (MUSEN 309/509) are open to all players without audition, Wednesday evenings, 7:00-9:00. The first rehearsal for Concert/Campus Bands will be Wednesday September 27th, 7:00 PM in Meany Hall, Room 268. All campus and concert band students should attend first rehearsal. Bring your instruments, as we will play at the first rehearsal.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO PLAY IN MORE THAN ONE ENSEMBLE?
Yes! Rehearsals are scheduled to avoid conflicts between different ensembles including jazz ensembles and Husky Marching Band.
Visit the UW Bands web page to find out more about UW Bands
Visit the UW Orchestras web page to find out more about UW Orchestras