**Please note that the Music Theory and Music Education graduate programs will not be accepting graduate applications for the autumn 2023 cycle; they will accept them again for the autumn 2024 cycle, for which the application will open July 1, 2023. **
ALL application materials must be received online by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 1
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
All applicants: Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found at http://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain how graduate study in this particular program will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- Scholarly writing sample(s).
- A current résumé or CV.
**International applicants must also demonstrate English proficiency when English is not their native language. Please have the testing service send your official TOEFL or IELTS score electronically to the UW by December 1 at UW Institution Code 4854. It is our expectation that we will have received your official score from the testing service before the faculty begin reviewing application materials.
Note that our requirements ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE GRADUATE SCHOOL’S AND OUR REQUIREMENTS TAKE PRECEDENCE:
- The School of Music’s minimum TOEFL score required for admission is 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. For IELTS, the minimum score is 7 for master's students and 7.5 for doctoral students.
- The School of Music does NOT accept Duo Lingo scores.
- The School of Music requires the TOEFL or IELTS of all applicants whose native language is not English, even if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s, master's, or doctoral degree.