ALL application materials must be received online by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 1
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found at http://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Please write one to two paragraphs letting us know specifically why you're interested in our conducting program, and what you hope to get out of the experience.
- Repertoire lists (list works performed and if possible, works studied).
- Conducting video: Prior to submitting your conducting video(s), please submit your Graduate Admissions Application. Applicants who submit a video audition but who do not submit the application will not be considered for admission to the School of Music.
Please include three different excerpts (if possible), one each of the following contrasting styles and periods:
- baroque/classical/early romantic
- late romantic/early 20th century
Please note: footage should be from the stage, showing the conductor's front side.
Please upload a recent video or videos of yourself conducting an ensemble of orchestral instruments using the link below.
**International applicants must also demonstrate English proficiency when English is not their native language. Please have the testing service send your official TOEFL or IELTS score electronically to the UW by December 1 at UW Institution Code 4854. It is our expectation that we will have received your official score from the testing service before the faculty begin reviewing application materials.
Note that our requirements ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE GRADUATE SCHOOL’S AND OUR REQUIREMENTS TAKE PRECEDENCE:
- The School of Music’s minimum TOEFL score required for admission is 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. For IELTS, the minimum score is 7 for master's students and 7.5 for doctoral students.
- The School of Music does NOT accept Duo Lingo scores.
- The School of Music requires the TOEFL or IELTS of all applicants whose native language is not English, even if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s, master's, or doctoral degree.