ALL application materials must be postmarked by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 1
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
Note: We are not accepting Orchestral Conducting applications for the 2018-2019 school year.
STEP 1. Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found at https://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application: this is our preferred method. Recommenders who cannot use this function, however, may mail a signed letter on letterhead in a sealed envelope to the address below.
**International applicants must also:
- Have the testing service send your official TOEFL score electronically to the UW by December 1 at UW Institution Code 4854. (Minimum score required for admission: 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. Note that our requirement for doctoral students is higher than the Graduate School’s.) Also, although the Graduate School does not require the TOEFL if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s degree, the School of Music DOES require the TOEFL of ALL APPLICANTS WHOSE NATIVE LANGUAGE IS NOT ENGLISH, EVEN IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED A U.S. BACHELOR’S DEGREE.
STEP 2. Mail the following admission materials by the postmark deadline above to:
School of Music Graduate Admissions
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3450
- Printed copy of the completed online Graduate Admissions application.
- Official transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain how graduate study in this particular program will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- Optional: To be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, submit a résumé of relevant experience.
- Extra materials as specified:
Voice: Pre-audition videos are highly recommended (but not required). Formal invitations for a campus audition will not be mailed until January 1st. Those who submit pre-audition videos by November 1st will be given an indication about whether to apply online to the UW by the December 1st deadline and plan a campus audition, as soon as the videos are viewed. To submit a graduate voice pre-screening video, please click on the link below. Through this link you will also be able to upload your pre-screening video and a current resume (optional). Pre-screening videos will be accepted October 1st - November 1st. Because pre-screening videos are optional, students who do not submit a pre-audition video will still be allowed to audition in person, but will not receive a formal invitation to do so. (see Step 3 below for details)
STEP 3. Audition
Once your application has been submitted, request an audition online. Detailed information can be found on the Audition Dates page - including Suggested Audition Repertoire, Video Audition options, and a link to Online Sign-ups. Please note that live auditions are highly recommended.
***PLEASE NOTE: All application materials become the property of the School of Music once submitted and WILL NOT be returned to applicants.