ALL application materials must be received by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 1
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
STEP 1. Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: found at http://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/.
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain how graduate study in this particular program will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- Optional: To be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, submit a résumé of relevant experience.
***PLEASE NOTE: All application materials become the property of the School of Music once submitted and WILL NOT be returned to applicants.
**International applicants must also demonstrate English proficiency when English is not their native language. Please have the testing service send your official TOEFL or IELTS score electronically to the UW by December 1 at UW Institution Code 4854. It is our expectation that we will have received your official score from the testing service before the faculty begin reviewing application materials.
Note that our requirements ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE GRADUATE SCHOOL’S AND OUR REQUIREMENTS TAKE PRECEDENCE:
- The School of Music’s minimum TOEFL score required for admission is 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. For IELTS, the minimum score is 7 for master's students and 7.5 for doctoral students.
- The School of Music does NOT accept Duo Lingo scores.
- The School of Music requires the TOEFL or IELTS of all applicants whose native language is not English, even if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s, master's, or doctoral degree.
STEP 2. Audition
Once your application has been submitted, request an audition online. Detailed information can be found on the Audition Dates page - including Suggested Audition Repertoire, Video Audition options, and a link to Online Sign-ups. Please note that live auditions are highly recommended.
- VOICE applicants ONLY: Pre-screen videos are highly recommended (but not required) for voice applicants. Those who submit pre-screen videos by November 1st will be given an indication about whether to apply online to the UW by the December 1st deadline and plan a campus audition, as soon as the videos are viewed. To submit a voice pre-screening video, please click on the link below. Pre-screen videos will be accepted October 1st - November 1st. Please do not upload your video before October 1st. Note: Because pre-screen videos are optional, students who do not submit a pre-screen video will still be allowed to audition in person. Submit your pre-screen video here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTE0pTvFffgmQvhQ_joSPYuWTkDBEl...