ALL application materials must be received by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 2
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found at https://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application: this is our preferred method. Recommenders who cannot use this function, however, may mail a signed letter on letterhead in a sealed envelope to School of Music Graduate Admissions, University of Washington, BOX 353450, Seattle WA 98195-3450.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Please write one to two paragraphs letting us know specifically why you're interested in our conducting program, and what you hope to get out of the experience.
- Repertoire lists (list works performed and if possible, works studied)
- Conducting Video: Prior to submitting your conducting video(s), please submit your Graduate Admissions Application. Applicants who submit a video audition but who do not submit the application will not be considered for admission to the School of Music.
Please include 2 contrasting works (if possible), both rehearsal and performance.
Note: footage should be from the stage, showing the conductor's front side. The audio should be synchronized with the video.
Please upload a recent video or videos of yourself conducting a wind ensemble using the link below.
**International applicants must also:
- Have the testing service send your official TOEFL score electronically to the UW by December 2 at UW Institution Code 4854. (Minimum score required for admission: 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. Note that our requirement for doctoral students is higher than the Graduate School’s.) Also, although the Graduate School does not require the TOEFL if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s degree, the School of Music DOES require the TOEFL of ALL APPLICANTS WHOSE NATIVE LANGUAGE IS NOT ENGLISH, EVEN IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED A U.S. BACHELOR’S DEGREE.