ALL application materials must be received online by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 1
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found at http://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application: this is our preferred method. Recommenders who cannot use this function, however, may mail a signed letter on letterhead in a sealed envelope to Graduate Admissions Office, School of Music, University of Washington, BOX 353450, Seattle WA 98195-3450.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain how graduate study in this particular program will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- A portfolio of scores and recordings. Please upload up to 4 scores and recordings of recent representative works. Applicants should submit a composition portfolio after submitting an online application to the UW Graduate School (see above) between July 1st - December 1st. To submit your composition portfolio, please click on the link below.
- Official GRE scores (general exam only): have the testing service send your official scores electronically to UW Institution Code 4854 by the appropriate deadline above.
- Optional: To be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, submit a résumé of relevant experience.
**International applicants must also:
- Have the testing service send your official TOEFL score electronically to the UW by December 1 at UW Institution Code 4854. (Minimum score required for admission: 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. Note that our requirement for doctoral students is higher than the Graduate School’s.) Also, although the Graduate School does not require the TOEFL if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s, master's, or doctoral degree, the School of Music sets a higher standard: we DO require the TOEFL of ALL APPLICANTS WHOSE NATIVE LANGUAGE IS NOT ENGLISH, EVEN IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED A U.S. BACHELOR’S, MASTER'S, OR DOCTORAL DEGREE. It is our expectation that we will have received your official TOEFL score from the testing service before the faculty begin reviewing application materials.