ALL application materials must be received online by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Deadline for autumn quarter admission: December 1
We do not accept applications for summer quarter, winter quarter, or spring quarter.
Please do not apply before July 1.
**Inquiries on the PhD program in Music Education should be directed to Professor Patricia Shehan Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org.**
All applicants: Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found at http://grad.uw.edu/admissions/apply-now/
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application: this is our preferred method. Recommenders who cannot use this function, however, may mail a signed letter on letterhead in a sealed envelope to , School of Music Graduate Admissions Office, University of Washington, BOX 353450, Seattle WA 98195-3450.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain how graduate study in this particular program will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- Scholarly writing sample(s).
- Official GRE scores (general exam only): have the testing service send your official scores electronically to UW Institution Code 4854 by the appropriate deadline above.
- A current résumé or CV.
- If applying to Music Education, submit a URL link to a video of a recent lesson you have taught.
- If applying for MA in Music Education with Teacher Certification
- Once you have applied, schedule an audition online at www.music.washington.edu.
**International applicants must also:
- Have the testing service send your official TOEFL score electronically to the UW by December 1 at UW Institution Code 4854. (Minimum score required for admission: 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. Note that our requirement for doctoral students is higher than the Graduate School’s.) Also, although the Graduate School does not require the TOEFL if you have completed a U.S. bachelor’s, master's, or doctoral degree, the School of Music sets a higher standard: we DO require the TOEFL of ALL APPLICANTS WHOSE NATIVE LANGUAGE IS NOT ENGLISH, EVEN IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED A U.S. BACHELOR’S, MASTER'S, OR DOCTORAL DEGREE. It is our expectation that we will have received your official TOEFL score from the testing service before the faculty begin reviewing application materials.
***PLEASE NOTE: All application materials become the property of the School of Music once submitted and WILL NOT be returned to applicants.