This degree is offered with a major in Music, and is intended for students who wish to emphasize general competence in music within the framework of a liberal arts education. Students must complete a minimum of 180 credits, of which 90 must be taken in departments other than the School of Music, including the Language Skills, Reasoning and Writing in Context, and Areas of Knowledge requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences. Music majors are required to earn a minimum grade of 2.0 in each music course (core and elective) that is to count toward music degree requirements. A GPA of 2.5 in music is required for graduation.
- MUSIC 113: Beginning Ear Training (Autumn) (1 credit)
- MUSIC 119: Theory (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 120: Survey of Music History (Aut/Win/Spr) (5 credits) or proficiency exam
- Music Theory & History Core
- MUSIC 201, 202: First-Year Theory I, II (Winter, Spring) (3,3) (6 credits)
- MUSIC 204, 205: First-Year Ear Training I, II (Winter, Spring) (1,1) (2 credits)
- MUSIC 203, 301, 302: First-Year Theory III & Second-Year Theory I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 206, 304, 305: First-Year Ear Training III & Second Year-Ear Training I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (1,1,1) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 210, 211, 212: Music History I, II, III (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 303: Second-Year Theory III (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 306: Second-Year Ear Training III (Autumn) (1 credit)
- At least 3 credits from among: MUSIC 250, MUSIC 251, MUSIC 252, or any 400-level Ethnomusicology course
- TOTAL CORE CREDITS: 36
- Additional Music Requirements
- Approved upper-level Music Theory or History electives (see list of course options) (6 credits)
- MUSICP 321-339: Instrumental instruction (2-3 years) (18 credits)
- MUSIC 307, 308, 309: Diction for Singers (2, 2, 2) (6 credits)
- Ensemble Requirements
- Participation in at least one School of Music ensemble is required during every quarter of applied music instruction. (6 credits)
Must include six quarters in a large conducted choral ensemble; MUSEN 350 (University Chorale), MUSEN 351 (Chamber Singers) or MUSEN 307 (Recital Choir).
- Piano Profienciency
- Students must satisfy a piano proficiency requirement equivalent to passing MUSAP 135.
- Foreign Language Requirements
- Voice students must complete first-year language courses (through 103) in TWO languages (French, German, and/or Italian). These may also satisfy the UW foreign language requirement and count toward VLPA credits.
TOTAL MAJOR CREDITS: 72
- Language Skills = 5 cr. English Composition; 5 cr. Foreign Language (third quarter)
- Reasoning and Writing in Context = 5 cr. Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning; 10 cr. Writing course
- Areas of Knowledge - 75 credits total (of which 15 cr. of major dept. prefix can count but not toward 90 non-Music)
- VLPA - Visual Literary and Performing Arts = 20 cr.; I&S - Individuals and Societies = 20 cr.; NW - Natural World = 20 cr.
TOTAL NON-MUSIC CREDITS: 90
See the Degree Program Sheet below for a checklist of course requirements.