Admission to the Bachelor of Music is intended for especially qualified students who wish to emphasize professional training in performance or composition within a four ‐ year program. A minimum of 180 credits is required, of which at least 60 must be taken in departments other than the School of Music, including the Language Skills, Reasoning and Writing in Context, and 20 credits in each of two Areas of Knowledge requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences. Music majors are required to earn a minimum grade of 2.0 in each music course (core and elective) that is to count toward Music degree requirements. A GPA of 2.5 in Music is required for graduation.
To be considered for Organ Performance Status, you must pass a Piano audition at the MUSICP 321 level or above.
- MUSIC 113: Beginning Ear Training (Autumn) (1 credit)
- MUSIC 119: Theory (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 120: Survey of Music History (Aut/Win/Spr) (5 credits) or proficiency exam
- Music Theory & History Core
- MUSIC 201, 202: First-Year Theory I, II (Winter, Spring) (3,3) (6 credits)
- MUSIC 204, 205: First-Year Ear Training I, II (Winter, Spring) (1,1) (2 credits)
- MUSIC 203, 301, 302: First-Year Theory III & Second-Year Theory I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 206, 304, 305: First-Year Ear Training III & Second Year-Ear Training I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (1,1,1) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 210, 211, 212: Music History I, II, III (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 303: Second-Year Theory III (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 306: Second-Year Ear Training III (Autumn) (1 credit)
- At least 3 credits from among: MUSIC 250, MUSIC 251, MUSIC 252, or any 400-level Ethnomusicology course
- TOTAL CORE CREDITS: 36
- Additional Music Requirements
- Approved upper-level Music Theory or History electives (see list of course options) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 487: Tonal Counterpoint (3 credits)
- One Advanced Analysis Course: MUSIC 430, 438, 475, or 480
- MUSICP 322: Private Instruction (3) (18 credits)
- MUSICP 422: Private Instruction (3) (18 credits)
- MUSIC 473, 474: Keyboard Harmony and Transposition (3, 3) (6 credits)
- MUSIC 458, 459: Repertoire (3, 3) (6 credits)
- MUSIC 454: Organ Pedagogy (3) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 350, 351, 352: Choral Conducting (1, 1, 1) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 379: Junior Recital (1 credit)
- MUSIC 479: Senior Recital (1 credit)
- Music Electives (1 credit)
- Ensemble Requirements
- Participation in at least one School of Music ensemble is required during every quarter of applied music instruction. (12 credits)
Organ majors are required to take either a choral ensemble, MUSEN 325 (Accompanying), or MUSEN 383 (Collegium Musicum).
- Piano Proficiency
- Students must satisfy a piano proficiency requirement equivalent to passing into MUSICP 321. If unable to do so, the student will be required to take three quarters of MUSAP 301.
TOTAL MAJOR CREDITS: 120
- Language Skills = 5 cr. English Composition; 5 cr. Foreign Language (third quarter)
- Reasoning and Writing in Context = 5 cr. Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning; 10 cr. Writing course
- Areas of Knowledge - 75 credits total (of which 15 cr. of major dept. prefix can count but not toward 90 non-Music)
- VLPA - Visual Literary and Performing Arts = 20 cr.; I&S - Individuals and Societies = 20 cr.; NW - Natural World = 20 cr.
TOTAL NON-MUSIC CREDITS: 60
See the Degree Program Sheet below for a checklist of course requirements.