Admission to the Bachelor of Music is intended for especially qualified students who wish to emphasize professional training in performance or composition within a four ‐ year program. A minimum of 180 credits is required, of which at least 60 must be taken in departments other than the School of Music, including the Language Skills, Reasoning and Writing in Context, and 20 credits in each of two Areas of Knowledge requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences. Music majors are required to earn a minimum grade of 2.0 in each music course (core and elective) that is to count toward Music degree requirements. A GPA of 2.5 in Music is required for graduation.
- MUSIC 113: Beginning Ear Training (Autumn) (1 credit)
- MUSIC 119: Theory (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 120: Survey of Music History (Aut/Win/Spr) (5 credits) or proficiency exam
- Music Theory & History Core
- MUSIC 201, 202: First-Year Theory I, II (Winter, Spring) (3,3) (6 credits)
- MUSIC 204, 205: First-Year Ear Training I, II (Winter, Spring) (1,1) (2 credits)
- MUSIC 203, 301, 302: First-Year Theory III & Second-Year Theory I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 206, 304, 305: First-Year Ear Training III & Second Year-Ear Training I, II (Aut,Win,Spr) (1,1,1) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 210, 211, 212: Music History I, II, III (Aut,Win,Spr) (3,3,3) (9 credits)
- MUSIC 303: Second-Year Theory III (Autumn) (3 credits)
- MUSIC 306: Second-Year Ear Training III (Autumn) (1 credit)
- At least 3 credits from among: MUSIC 250, MUSIC 251, MUSIC 252, or any 400-level Ethnomusicology course
- TOTAL CORE CREDITS: 36
- Additional Music Requirements
- Approved upper-level Music Theory or History electives (see list of course options) (15 credits)
- MUSICP 324-326, 363: Private Instruction (3) (18 credits)
- MUSICP 424-426, 463: Private Instruction (3) (18 credits)
- MUSIC 380: Basic Principles of Conducting (1 credit)
- MUSIC 379: Junior Recital (1 credit)*
- MUSIC 479: Senior Recital (1 credit)*
- Music Electives: May include MUSIC 429 (Repertoire); MUSIC 434, 435, 436 (Pedagogy); MUSIC 437 (Studio class); Piano instruction may count toward this requirement. (3 credits)
- Ensemble Requirements
- Participation in at least one School of Music ensemble is required during every quarter of applied music instruction. (12 credits)
University Symphony Orchestra (MUSEN 308) is required during every quarter of lessons.
- Piano Proficiency
- Students must satisfy a piano proficiency requirement equivalent to passing MUSAP 235.
TOTAL MAJOR CREDITS: 105
- Language Skills = 5 cr. English Composition; 5 cr. Foreign Language (third quarter)
- Reasoning and Writing in Context = 5 cr. Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning; 10 cr. Writing course
- Areas of Knowledge - 75 credits total (of which 15 cr. of major dept. prefix can count but not toward 90 non-Music)
- VLPA - Visual Literary and Performing Arts = 20 cr.; I&S - Individuals and Societies = 20 cr.; NW - Natural World = 20 cr.
TOTAL NON-MUSIC CREDITS: 60
* All string degree recitals: unaccompanied works and concertos must be performed from memory. Exceptions must be approved by the primary professor.
See the Degree Program Sheet below for a checklist of course requirements.