Strings auditions for the Campus Philharmonia Orchestras. Winds, brass, percussion and harp interested in UW Orchestras, please see here.
Auditions have moved to a video submission audition format for the 2020/21 school year.
VIDEO SUBMISSION DATES FOR CPO:
Sunday, September 27 at 11:59 PM PDT—Audition videos submissions due.
September 28–29: Video auditions reviewed and evaluated.
September 30–Oct 2: Audition results sent via email with add codes.
VIDEO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS FOR CPO
Your audition should consist of selections of your choice from two works of contrasting styles/periods (accompaniment is not necessary), totaling no more than 5 minutes. (There will be no sight-reading.)
- Record your auditions on a camera or phone (in Landscape Mode)
- Frame your shot so that you and your instrument are centered in the frame. A distance of 6 feet is recommended.
- The audition video with your 2 selected works should be one single file, totaling no more than 5 minutes.
- Export your video audition as a MP4 or MOV file at a minimum 720p resolution (1080p is preferred). Please do not send 4k videos due to storage limitations.
- When exporting/saving your file, please use the following method = lastname_firstname_instrument.mp4. (i.e. Johnson_James_bass.mp4)
Online Audition Submission Form:
Returning CPO members are not required to submit an audition; you may do so if you wish to be considered for a higher chair. If you wish to return without submitting an audition, please contact teaching assistant Daren Weissfisch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Musen 300/500 University of Washington Symphony Orchestra (UWSO)
The top orchestral ensemble on campus, performing major symphonic literature. This orchestra is made up of music majors and non-music majors alike. Seating auditions are held at the start of each academic year; seating rotates throughout the year. Open to both undergrads and graduate students.
Led by Director of Orchestral Activities David Alexander Rahbee, the orchestra performs 6-7 concerts per year (an average of 2 per quarter), collaborates with soloists from the music faculty, the Seattle Symphony and visiting Meany Center artists as well as a yearly performance with the combined UW choirs. Performances are given in Meany Theater, as well as other various locations on campus, and occasionally at Benaroya Hall. From time to time during the year, the orchestra may split up into smaller groups called UW Chamber Orchestra.
Rehearsals are Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30-6:00pm in Meany 268 (Friday rehearsals are held only on concert days at 3:30)