The 2017 meeting of SEMNW will be held at the Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, date TBA.
The Society for Ethnomusicology, Northwest Chapter
The Northwest Chapter of the Society for Ethnomusicology welcomes participation by members and other interested individuals in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, and Alberta. The chapter convenes each spring for a 1–2 day meeting including formal papers, panels, performances, and opportunities for socializing. The location of the annual meeting changes year to year; recent meetings have been hosted by the University of British Columbia (Vancouver, B.C.), the University of Victoria (Victoria, B.C.), the University of Washington (Seattle, WA), the Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA), Lewis and Clark College (Portland, OR), and the University of Oregon (Eugene, OR).
The Thelma Adamson Prize
Since 1996 SEM Northwest has awarded a prize each year for the best student presentation at the annual chapter meeting. A committee composed of three faculty members from at least two regional institutions evaluates presentations by students who have indicated interest in being considered for the prize. The winner receives a cash prize of $100.00, and her/his name and paper title are included in the chapter report to SEM (chapter prize winners are announced during the business meeting at the annual SEM conference).
- 2004 Program, University of Victoria
- 2005 Program, University of Washington
- 2007 Program, Evergreen State College
- 2008 Program, University of British Columbia
- 2009 Program, University of Washington (PDF)
- 2010 Program, Lewis and Clark College (PDF)
- 2011 Program, University of Washington (PDF)
- 2012 Program, University of Oregon (PDF)
- 2013 Program, University of Washington (PDF)
- 2014 Program, University of British Columbia (PDF)
- 2015 Program, University of Washington (PDF)
- 2016 Program, University of Oregon (PDF)